What Can You Do if You Lost a Loved One in a Fatal Car Accident?

Losing a loved one is one of the hardest things you will ever go through. Whether you were also involved and suffered some injuries or you just need to take care of your loved one’s estate, you need to know what to do next. In most cases, the police will arrive on the scene to document what happened. Though you may worry about what to do next, you can get help from a wrongful death attorney.

Open Probate

As soon as possible, you’ll need to open probate to take care of your loved one’s estate. Florida requires probate for anyone who owned any real property in the state. This often includes real estate like the individual’s home as well as any cars they had. You do not need to go through probate to get any insurance they left behind. The insurer should name at least one person as a beneficiary who will inherit the policy. You can use those funds to pay for the funeral and any other costs.

Check Their Accounts

Before you consult with an accident attorney in Delray Beach, look for any accounts the person had. Many banks allow customers to list another person on their accounts. You do not need to go through probate to access an account that has your name on it. The money goes right to you. Look for retirement and investment accounts, too, as these often have beneficiaries attached.

See if You Qualify for a Wrongful Death Claim

A wrongful death occurs when someone is responsible for the death of another person. If you are the executor of the individual’s estate or a family member, you can file this type of claim. John Mufson is a local attorney who can help with your wrongful death claim. The statute of limitations in Florida is just two years. You can only file a claim against the responsible party for two years after the date of the incident.

Learn About Damages

When you hire a wrongful death attorney, they will talk with you about the damages you can bring up in court. The total amount of the damages will determine how much money you get from the responsible party. Florida lets you claim any future earnings the individual would have and any money family members paid for the person’s medical needs and funeral costs. You can also file for pain and suffering when you lose a spouse, partner, or close family member. Though you may need to present some evidence, a car accident attorney can help you gather proof. The evidence can include the police report, witness statements, and camera footage taken after the accident.

When you lose someone who is important to you, you have a lot of things you need to do. Make sure you consult with an accident attorney in Delray Beach as soon as possible. Contact John Mufson today to see if you can file a wrongful death case against another person after a fatal car accident.